Espresso Yourself Music
The Treehouse Cafe120 W. Merchant St., Audubon, NJ 08106 visit site>
*Please forgive me that I don’t have pictures. It is an intimate setting and it just did not feel appropriate. The pictures are from The Treehouse Cafe website.
The Treehouse Cafe is a community minded cafe/ coffee shop (vegan and veggie friendly) in what I am guessing is the heart of little Audubon, NJ. On Tuesday mornings from 10:00-11:00 am the joint is handed over to the 3 feet and under crowd for Espresso Music with Sarah O’Brien of Studio Luloo.
When I posted I was going there on HipsterHenry Facebook a bunch of moms came back with wonderful comments on how much they love Espresso Yourself. Just to give my Philly Moms a frame of reference I quickly came to the understanding that NJ’s Sara O’Brien is the NoLibs version of The Lara and Joe Show.
We got there just after 10:00 (don’t use your iPhone to get there) and the place was packed with parents and their little ones. Sara was doing a mic check and little ones were all around her on stage with microphone in hand waiting patiently. Down on the “dance floor” were the new walkers, crawlers and the stage fright (Ollie). The atmosphere is a happy and cozy free for all. Parents are taking a break with their coffees, little ones are playing with the shakers and the costumes and snacking on grill cheeses. Every one was social and friendly. I think it can be a lot to walk into the first time but within a matter of seconds you realize that everyone is just there to get their sillies out, hear some fun music and catch up with each other. I throughly enjoyed the kiddie song that was based on Beyoncé’s Put a Ring on It. Put your hand ups, Oh, oh, oh- Oh, oh, oh.
Ollie (2) was not as into it but honestly he was the only one that wasn’t and I think it is just his personality. I think Henry (3) who is more mild-mannered would have enjoyed it. Age wise I think it is great for the 2 and under kids and moms but I also saw three and four-year old girls that were grabbing the mic and sing the ABC’s with confidence. Either way it is worth checking out. Sara O’Brien and The Treehouse Cafe have done a great job creating a wonderful environment for kids and parents with Espresso Yourself and I highly recommend it to both NJ and Philly families. It is worth the 15-20 minute trip over the bridge.
Know Before You Go:
1. I found parking right out front which is 1 hour unmetered parking.
2. Mom’s “In the Know” clearly get there early and grab a table. I sat on the floor with Ollie and was totally fine.
3. The parents here are friendly and you could tell they feel very relaxed in this space. The barista knew many of the Moms by name, etc.
4. My iPhone hates anything that has to do with Rt 130 or 30. So if you are not familiar with the area just make sure you map your Rt out before you go. It is adjacent to Haddonfield if that helps. Use their directions which are on the site.
5. I don’t think they start promptly at 10:00 so don’t kill yourself trying to get there.