SHADY BROOK FARM
Forgive me but the Macy’s light show does nothing for me. But a quick 20 minute trip up 95 (with a side of traffic) is Shady Brook Farm off exit 49. I have seen this place from a distance but this was the first time we went in. The farm grounds are turned into a holiday light show that is actually…well pretty cool. You drive along the path from one giant animated display to the next. From a scuba diver fighting with a shark to the 7 wonders of the world, to giant bugs flying in between the giant lit trees they pretty much cover it all. I mean there is a Nemo fish aquarium. With the donation of a canned good and their $5.00 off coupon it is $15 / car. We went on a Monday night and it was not crowded so we got through it in 15 minutes. You could pull over and take pictures, take your time or move onto the next set at your own pace. The boys loved looking at everything.
What they really ended up loving was the s’mores and playground afterwards. My days of living in the woods are long gone so it was really nice to see all the different fire pits surrounded by benches surrounded by Christmas lights and Christmas music. The boys ran around on the playground while we grabbed a s’more kit for $10.00. It came with plenty of marshmallows, One chocolate bar and a package of graham crackers. More than enough for three adults and two kids. They also give you sticks. The fires are tended by really nice high school kids.
Overall it was a really nice night. We left the city at 6:00 pm and were back at the house by 8:30 pm with two sleeping kids. We also cheated and went on a night that usually warm so it was not bitter cold. It was a nice little break from the city but geez it is dark out there. Santa is arriving by helicopter this weekend if you want to check it out.
What you need to know:
1. There are porta potties but if you go in the door marked Employees Only right by the porta potties there are two regular bathrooms.
2. You pay by the car. There is a $5.00 / car coupon on their site. For Monday thru Thursday visits.
3. You can take a hayride which is $12/ person. There is a $4.00 / person coupon on their site. For Monday thru Thursday visits.
4. They have funnel cake, hot coco and Christmas trees.
5. The light show is 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm daily.