The Lancaster Science Factory
454 New Holland Avenue, Lancaster, PA 17602
Professional Intro.: The Lancaster Science Factory is a hands-on, interactive technology center where children explore exhibits in physical sciences, engineering, technology and mathematics.
Mom Intro.: The Lancaster Science Factory is a place where as soon as we walked in and they saw all the fun stuff to play with my entire family took off in different directions and abandoned me. #score
For my Philadelphia area parents I would have to say that The Lancaster Science Factory is a condensed version of the Franklin Institute. Since most of us can’t get through the multiple floor of the Franklin Institute without it ending in a meltdown this large, one floor, modern circus of hands-on experiment after experiment was perfect. Everyone went in different directions and bounced from “play station” to “play station.” I feel bad calling them exhibits because that makes it sound like something you look at. The Lancaster Science Factory is about putting things together, understanding how they work and learning even more when they fall apart. What I loved is that no matter where anyone was I was still able to keep an eye on them. The staff said most people spend about two hours at the factory and they were right. We closed the factory down and stayed from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
The boys pretty much loved everything but they spent a ton of time in the K’Nex race car building and racing exhibit. They also spent time with and kept going back to the dam building exhibit because where there is water there is my boys.
They went crazy over the parachute launcher. They loved stuffing the weighted parachutes in the tube and racing to catch them. I loved that this exhibit like all the exhibit were things they were able to figure out and do on their own. When you have two very different boys that freed me up to play with them rather than “facilitate”.
- If you are staying in Downtown Lancaster (like we did) you will want to drive to The Lancaster Science Factory.
- There is plenty of free parking in a lot across the street.
- The Science Factory is currently open Monday – Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Science Factory is recommended for ages 7-13 but I saw my 4+6 year old and plenty of others loving the exhibits and they did not struggle one bit. They may not walk away with the same learning lesson but they are learning through play…but don’t tell them that.
- Admission Price is very affordable: 2 years old and under: FREE, Children, Adults and Seniors: $8.50